May 2020 (3) Newsletter
Check out the lastest bridge events, current bridge games and seminars newsletter for information!
VIEW CURRENT NEWSLETTER (PDF)
(View Previous Newsletters & Articles)
If you are having trouble viewing pdf's,
please download the latest Adobe PDF Reader
PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
We hope you can join us on our upcoming bridge cruise and/or bridge trip!
VANCOUVER TO TOKYO BRIDGE CRUISE NORTHERN PACIFIC CROSSING
19 NIGHTS ABOARD SHIP & 3 NIGHT STAYOVER POST CRUISE IN TOKYO
September 22 - October 14, 2021
The cruise in April 2020 was to be Barbara & Alex’s last escorted cruise but was cancelled. This cruise is the replacement cruise.
19 NIGHTS ABOARD SHIP & 3 NIGHT STAYOVER POST CRUISE IN TOKYO on the REGENT SEVEN SEAS EXPLORER,
the most luxurious ship ever built WITH BARBARA SEAGRAM & ALEX KORNEL
ALL CABINS ON THIS SHIP ARE VERANDAH SUITES
- Sep 22 Wed Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sep 23 Thu Cruising the Inside Passage
- Sep 24 Fri Ketchikan, Alaska
- Sep 25 Sat Icy Strait (Hoonah) Alaska
- Sep 26 Sun Cruising Hubbard Glacier
- Sep 27 Mon Seward, Alaska
- Sep 28 Tue Kodiak, Alaska
- Sep 29 Wed Cruising Pacific Ocean
- Sep 30 Thu Dutch Harbor
- Oct 1 Fri Cruising the Pacific Ocean
- Oct 3 Sun Cross the International Date Line
- Oct 3 Sun Cruising the Pacific Ocean
- Oct 4 Mon Cruising the Pacific Ocean
- Oct 5 Tue Petropavlovsk, Russia
- Oct 6 Wed Cruising the Pacific Ocean
- Oct 7 Thu Cruising the Pacific Ocean
- Oct 8 Fri Hakodate, Japan
- Oct 9 Sat Sendai, Japan
- Oct 10 Sun Hitachinaka, Japan
- Oct 11 Mon Tokyo, Japan
- Oct 11-14 Stayover in Tokyo included
- $10,299.00 USD (NO Air) (Category G2) per person dbl. occ.
- $13,299.00 USD includes ALL Air & Bus class air from Japan
- $13,549.00 CDN (NO Air) (Category G2) per person dbl. occ.
- $17,449.00 CDN includes ALL Air & Bus class air from Japan
- If you book this and then feel you need to cancel in early April 2021, you lose $125.00 USD or $150.00 CAD only. AND you actually do not lose it as you can apply that to a future cruise.
- Deposits for the cruise are now reduced.
- BEST NEW FEATURE: Shipboard credit was $600.00 USD per cabin and now it is $1,400.00 USD per cabin. IF you book by July 31st, 2020.
ALL Fares Include: 3 nts post-cruise in Tokyo or 2 nts pre in Vancouver, Free Business class Japan back to North America, Free economy air on domestic flights from most major airports to Vancouver, BC, Free transfers if air is booked with Regent, Free unlimited shore excursions, Free unlimited beverages including fine wines & premium spirits, Free pre-paid gratuities, All taxes / World class dining, Free specialty restaurants, Free unlimited wi-fi.
NOTE: Penthouse suites & higher: Free personal butler
Barbara is the author of 30 books, the most well-known being 25 Bridge Conventions You Should Know.
Barbara & Alex will be escorting the group while aboard ship, teaching bridge and running bridge games. This is a private bridge programme.
Barbara & Alex are not working for the cruise line, only for the group.
You must book with Vision Travel in order to participate in our bridge program.
Note: Space is limited as it is a small ship. Book soon for best situated cabin!
To BOOK this Vancouver to Tokyo Bridge Cruise please contact:
Paola Shaw at Vision Travel Georgetown
Phone: 905-873-8070 or toll free at 1-800-263-5575 #1228
To book any trip, contact PAOLA SHAW
AT VISION TRAVEL
Her telephone numbers are:
- Toll-free: 1-800-263-5575 #1228
Paola is an excellent agent with years of experience.
Her attention to detail is legendary
and she can help you with ANY trip you wish to go on.
Planning the Defense
Barbara Seagram & David Bird
Ten years after their award-winning Planning the Play of a Bridge Hand, Seagram & Bird tackle the hardest part of the game: defense.
Using the same step-by-step approach, they guide the reader through the minefield of:
- making a defensive plan and, above all
- counting - points, tricks and distribution.
Available at our school or at Lee's bridge club or Wayne's bridge club or at Stephen's bridge club or by contacting Barbara at
NEW 26th BOOK
PLANNING THE PLAY: THE NEXT LEVEL
by Barbara Seagram
Barbara's first book in this series (also co-authored by David Bird) won Book of the Year Award by the American Bridge Teachers' Association: Planning the Play of a Bridge Hand.
That first book introduced the basic concepts of how to go about making a plan as declarer for beginning and improving players, and is a popular text for bridge teachers. This sequel extends the plan to more complex situations, and covers ideas such as safety plays, avoidance play, trump control, dummy reversal, and endplays.
It will appeal to players who have a good grasp of the basics of declarer play, and are looking to improve from there.
Books are available from:
- Lee or Wayne at their excellent Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon and evening games at Temple Sinai Synagogue @ 210 Wilson Ave.
- Josee at Trinity Presbyterian Church at 2737 Bayview Ave on Tuesdays and Wednesdays
- By email from Barbara
- You may pick up the books from us at a convenient address in North Toronto if you pre-arrange by email. We leave orders between our doors.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT
by Barbara Seagram
Over the years, readers have suggested that it would be an even better book if it offered some way to practice what they had learned. Now, here it is: Barbara's 25th book...a brief summary of each of those 25 conventions, together with example hands that can be dealt out and used to apply your new or brushed up knowledge.
It can be mailed to you or you can pick it up in Toronto.
Available by emailing Barbara at , or at Temple Sinai 210 Wilson Ave or at 2737 Bayview Ave on selected days only. It can be mailed to you or you can pick it up in Toronto!
TWO OVER ONE TEXT BOOK
by Barbara Seagram
Simply explains all you need to know about this system that has swept the world. Quizzes within will make you very comfortable with the system very quickly. And if you don’t play it, at the very least you should understand what your opponents are playing.
Available by emailing Barbara at
Barbara Seagram's DOUBLES CHEAT SHEET
Takeout doubles, Negative Doubles, Support Doubles, Redoubles, Lead Directing Doubles, Lightner Doubles, Responsive Doubles, Penalty Doubles
Available in person at our Bridge Studio, or by email to
MY TWO OVER ONE CHEAT SHEET IS NOW OUT!
Everything you need to know about this system, in a nutshell. Simply explained. Why you need to know the system that has swept North America by storm!
- What is the Forcing No Trump
- Questions to agree on with partner
- Recommended conventions you should consider playing
- Opener's rebid after Forcing 1NT
- Rebids by Responder after bidding Forcing 1NT
- Raising Partner's Major
- Tips to Help you Learn 2/1
- Semi-Forcing No Trump & an alternative approach
- Fourth Suit Forcing
And lots more!
Now available at Temple Sinai 210 Wilson Ave or at 2737 Bayview Ave on selected days only or email Barbara with your address & we will send it to you by postal mail,
If you don't have Barbara's other cheat sheets, we will be happy to send these out to you. Just send us your postal mailing address and we will send.
When you receive the package, have a look to see cost of postage on outside of packet. Send us a cheque for cost of the product and add the postage. Sorry but we do not take credit cards.
BUY 4 CHEAT SHEETS: $40.00
ALL 5 CHEAT SHEETS: $48.00
Special Valid until June 30th!
Email Barbara to ORDER:
The Pocket Guide to Even More Bridge Conventions
by Barbara Seagram & David Bird
A summary of all the fancier conventions. A VERY useful summary in a nutshell. You will love it.
Available @ Temple Sinai 210 Wilson Ave or at 2737 Bayview Ave on selected days only, or by contacting Barbara @ 416-487-8321
or by email,
Which book will help YOU the most?
Did You Know?
- Books on Conventions: For Advanced, Beginners and Intermediate Players
- Books on Bidding, Playing and Defending at Bridge: For Beginners and Intermediate Players
- Quiz Books: For Beginners and Intermediate Players
Barbara was in Cambodia February 14-24!
Watch the video as Barbara teaches English along with the A, B, C's, completing the lesson with a very energetic sung song to school children in Hin Pan & Phou Vien Villages, Luang Prabang District (Laos)
From March 1 - March 18, Barbara is on a river boat in Myanmar!
|Canadian Kindness Felt in Faraway Cambodia|
Most people in the bridge world know Barbara Seagram as one of the top teachers, a prolific author and an intrepid tour guide. What's not so well known is how far she will go
to help her fellow mankind.
About three years ago, Seagram and fellow tour guide Patti Lee discovered a need in Cambodia and went into action. Today, they and their supporters sustain the operations of four schools in Phnom Penh area, paying for electricity, supplies (including computers) and the salaries of teachers and librarians.
Funds to help run the schools come from the bridge players of Canada. "We couldn't do it without them," says Lee, a retired IBM accountant executive who took up teaching and directing bridge after leaving the company. Continued...
This article originally appeared in the January 2014 ACBL Bridge Bulletin. To join Am Contract Bridge League, email Barbara at
The ACBL is renewing the public education campaign initiated by Seagram, Cronin and Jacobs more than 15 years ago.
The theme, "Play nice," transposes two words we all like to hear at the table ("nice play!").
New posters have been developed and are being disseminated to all clubs.
"I think that all players are responsible for policing this situation. When I call a director about a problem (perhaps at an adjacent table), I make a point of checking with the director later to see what penalty was awarded. If none was, the director gets to listen to me expound on the subject, and if that doesn't work, I then a) report the situation to ACBL and b) speak to the offender myself."